Saturday, April 12, 2008

my very own

I am currently watching a movie about growing up in a small town. It happens to be a small town near where I grew up.

The characters want so desperately to get out of the "one horse town" that they are from. It's quite a bit corny, but it parallels to dreams that my friends and I shared in high school.

Having a life, a life of one's own...that can have meaning and purpose, it seems like that is all I could hink about at eighteen. And to have meaning and purpose, getting out of a small town was imperative.

My immediate family always asks why don't I move back to the town where I was raised. It's not that I don't want to, it's just that....I don't want to.

Two things that I wonder while I am watching this movie. When a person lives and dies in the same town, does that person have automatic access to community? Community seems to be new word to celebrate. People move to parts of the city to create a community, to build community.

So, to have a life of one's own usually means leaving the place one was born. Doesn't that make it hard to connect with others, and live in community?

just wondering....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aluguel de Computadores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aluguel-de-computadores.blogspot.com. A hug.

Just J for now said...

I also grew up in a small town (I think mine was a bit larger than yours, though). And I also dreamed of moving away, which I did.

However, now that I have a daughter of my own, I long to raise her in a small town, too.

I don't think "community" is ever automatic. I think we can create it wherever we go. Conversely, we can ignore it wherever we go. I've known people who live and die in the same town and never experience community.

We create our own community based on our interests. A big part of it, of course, is family. But community casts a bigger net than that. It encompasses favorite people, places and events.

Think of the community you thrive in at work. That office has a unique community with its birthday celebrations, distinct personalities, ongoing drama, etc.

Without even knowing it, you are a vital part of that community and it wouldn't be the same without you. You're integral to its success.

Just J for now said...

Woman, you need to blog more. I miss you.