Friday, November 14, 2008

family, fairytales, and fear

I have found it so very difficult to write anything as of late. I wrote a "draft", but decided not to publish it. It has been slightly over a month since my mother's funeral. Her passing was so sudden I did not even get to say good-bye. I must admit that I have not been quite sure on how to grieve...mourn...whatever the word is in which one tries to move on. For a time, my heart ached so severely, I thought surely I was having anxiety attacks.

I simply did not want to move on...I wanted to go back in time. I wanted her back. I wanted a different reality, perhaps even a fairytale. I believe that I was even beginning to shut down. I since willed myself to move on. My heart aches still, but less so.

Something that she said to me has been reverberating in my mind lately. She spoke of how I am always searching...And for the longest time, I resented what she was telling me. However, tonight, upon watching the movie Finding Neverland, I experienced a glimpse of what she was saying.

I am afraid of not being enough, not doing enough, not knowing enough, I am generally just afraid to experience so much of life. And, that fear haunts me. I try to figure it out, decipher parts of myself, self-diagnose,etc....you get the picture. Yet, in my efforts at trying so hard to fix what's "wrong" with me, I fail to find the things that are "right". I long to be content in my own skin...and hopefully that day will come before I am ninety!

2 comments:

Just J for now said...

Maybe I can get you started. Some things I appreciate about you:

--Absolute sincerity at all times
--Unwillingness to cower in difficult situations
--Incisive ability to "see" others
--Always ready to encourage those around you
--Contagious smile and laugh
--Ability to make people comfortable
--Unrelenting strength of character and will
--Committed and caring friend

It's good to have you back in the blogosphere. I've missed you and have been praying for you. I'm SO sorry for your loss, sweetie, and I'm proud of you for looking honestly into yourself.

Thelma said...

I lost my mom in 1997. She passed away five days after her birthday on November 22. A week before she died, we had had an argument over child-rearing choices that she disagreed with. We were cordial and largely ignored each other until a Thursday morning when she woke not feeling well. I offered to take her to the hospital but she refused. I was supposed to attend MTV's VJ Hunt that night but chose to stay home. A little past 6pm, while I was doing laundry, my then 8 year old daughter started screaming that something was happening to her Granma.

We made it to a nearby ER but it was too late. The following days were a blur. Yet today, it is still vivid in my mind and brings tears to my eyes.

All I can offer you, my friend, are my thoughts and the hope that they bring you comfort.