Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Lance Armstrong's One Regret

I love to listen to things at work. You'd think that I might be always wanting to "woo" it up, listening in on everyone's conversations, adding my two cents whenever I can, and basically just be my nosey self. Well, the truth is that I like to put my headphones and just ingest whatever I can, whether it be listening to new artists that sound like my favorite on www.pandora.com or listening to interviews, audio books, and lectures one learnoutloud.com. I am a bit of an information junkie.

When I saw the clip of the day being an interview with Lance Armstrong at 2007 Aspen Ideas Festival which I think is totally cool! I enjoyed the interview, and was taken back by the question and answer someone asked and Lance answered. The audience member asked him if had any regrets in his life. I assumed that naturally he might regret some sort of time that he wish he would have finished with, or something of that nature. Honestly, I expected him to cockily admit that he had not regrets, yada yada yada.

Instead, he candidly admitted that his divorce was the one thing that he regretted. And his reason for giving it was that it could never be put on the "W" shelf (for winning). But, that it would always go under the "F" shelf. And although he and his ex-wife share a amicable relationship and work to provide as much of a stable environment for their children as they can, this is something that he could not work hard enough on to salvage, and save, and keep.

I appreciate someone of his social status to admitting something like that. It is a hard thing to admit. failure. And, I don't know all the things that caused this failure of divorce in his life. But, what I do know is that overall he is not a failure. This one thing on the shelf, the "F" shelf, is just that...one thing on the shelf. It does not define him. He has plenty of things that he can look to on the the "W" shelf.

There was a time shortly after my seperation and divorce in which I attributed everything I did wrong as a comparison to the "F" on my shelf...my own divorce. I filtered every mistake through the lens of that situation. I assumed that since I had failed at that, then no wonder I was failing to complete tasks at work, and making mistakes, etc.

I am not quite sure how exactly, but listening to him speak about a difficult topic helped me in those few moments. I can't fully explain it, other than saying that I came away with a belief that I don't have to be defined exclusively by what I have done. The definition of who I am is so much more.

whew...long post that was! I blame it on all the writing I am supposed to be doing for school! :)

1 comment:

Just J for now said...

I value your wisdom. It's true, we don't have to be defined by what we've done. If we were all permanently marred by divorce, more than half of our society couldn't function on a daily basis. Divorce sucks and it's sad, but it happens. Being able to heal and move on after a divorce is more an indicator of who we are than the actual divorce is.