Sunday, August 3, 2008

just a few things on my mind...

wow. I have not written in over a month. I cannot believe I did not write at all in July. I cannot believe I am wrapping up on a political perspectives class, and am actually, for the most part, doing well in it. Well, let's back up...I have a paper that's due tomorrow, that is worth about a 1/5 of the class grade, and I haven't even started on it. Well, I started the introduction, and my thesis...I am about to go work at Starbucks, and then...come home, lock myself into my room...and write, write, write.

Right now, it's all in my head. It sounds brilliant in my head. Most things do.

This week I facebooked that all I wanted was some eudiamonia. That's one of those words that I forget what it means as soon as I read the definition in the dictionary...But, it is definitely one of those things that I desire. If you go on www.eudiamonia.com you will find two definitions for it. I am in love with the word because it speaks of what I am after. I want to live day after day with a real sense of accomplishment and vision. I want to be able to look at myself five years down the road, and "shake hands with that person" and go, wow, I am excited about where I am going. Right now, I cannot see anything 5 days in front of me, much less than five years. And I wake up thinking am I just living a fake life, and wondering if I am going to be found out.

But something that I am not is apathetic about work. I enjoy work, even the "two jobs" as frustrating as it can be sometimes...I am grateful for what these jobs have afforded me. I have been able to pay off my car along with other debt. What is up with some of those in my generation, and the generation after me that just sees fit to complain about their job, and just incessantly complain about how much they hate work, and hate their job? Now, I must remember that with my "positivity" theme, I don't actually do well with negativity. So, that is one aspect of why that gets under my skin so...but the other part. I just don't know why it is so easy to complain. I am not talking about the types of jobs where there are problems, and one discusses such and hopes to solve or diminish the problems and venting along the way. I mean the type of complaining with no resolution in the end.

Is the whole generation doing this? I think we all could use some edemame, er, eudiamonia.

No comments: