Tuesday, October 2, 2007

humility

I am not sure what to write about on this subject, except to say that I realized something about the definition of humility. This weekend I listened to someone speak on this topic, and quoting someone really smart(I cannot even remember who originally said it!) stated that one who has humility, has a right assessment of oneself.

I never thought of humility in that exact way before. I associate humility as thinking less of yourself, and simply lowering yourself to some status similar to soap scum.

However, humility is acknowledging who you are, and who you are not. For instance, humility doesn't say "I can't sing that well." when you sound like Charlotte Church (or whomever you believe a really talented singer might be.)

I admit that I am good with the verse in the bible that speaks of one esteeming others more than one's self, thinking of others first, you get the idea...But when it comes to acknowledging what i am good at, and what I can do, I tend to just look over my own accomplishments, and try to attribute success to someone else. "They were really helpful, and were the catalyst...yada yada yada. While all these things might be true, I can't negate my own workings in the situation...

so, this week perhaps I will embrace a correct view of myself...no more false pride, just truth.

1 comment:

Drew said...

valerie, thank you for your comment on one of my blogs. i was encouraged that you have been encouraged.

as for this blog, i appreciate what you have simply, yet profoundly stated. humility is just what you said it is. humility is the best form of relevance that we can bring to truth. relevance is truth wrapped in humility.

thank you for your words.