Sunday, December 16, 2007

www.thistlefarms.org

I experienced a "home party" Thursday night from these ladies from Magdalene. It was a beautiful story of redemption, and second chances.

These women come in off the street, and sometimes this place of recovery is often their last hope. They are able to stay in this home for two years rent free, essentially free from all the responsibilities of the world. They are then given love which they've never fully had. They are given a chance to start their life all over again...

I want to share with everyone I know about this place. The women learn life skills, like making bath & body products, and selling them. They learn how to work with one another on a daily business. Their products can be ordered online, or in certain stores across the U.S.

Something clicked for me that night. I want to be able to work/volunteer in an environment where people are given second chances everyday. It's messy. It's unpredictable. But perfection and predictability have never been the flow of my life...

I immediately wanted to volunteer here...then almost as immediate came the thought of "yeah, but are you gonna flake out of that?" This is how I think, and sadly how I can be. I am not "super hard on myself"...just doing a reality check...

I signed up for the volunteer newsletter...we'll see...

But, I really hope that anyone who reads this will seriously check this place out...
Becca Stevens, the Episcopal priest who started this non-profit has her own story of redemption, and has definitely started something beautiful.

No comments: